I suggest you ...

Leave Cornerstone Subversion-only client.

There many voices regarding adding Git support to Cornerstone.
I would strongly advise against it.

Git and SVN have different workflows, and trying to merge then inside a unified UI will be a complete mess.

It won't be good for users as well, as developer's focus will slip from making Cornerstone the best SVN client available, to making it decent Git & SVN client (which definitely won't work as well, given limited resources Zennaware has).

Somebody will eventually create Git workflow oriented client some day. And everybody will defiinitely like it more than a monstrous SVN-Git hybrid, trying to do both and not excelling at any.

So! Leave Cornerstone Subversion-only client! But perfect client at that.

thanks.

260 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    macdigger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Lombardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't used SVN for the last three years, but I still miss using Cornerstone. The nicest Git UI for OS X is Gitbox, but that hasn't been updated since 2012. Still wishing that Zennaware would fill the void with a modern and intelligently designed Git workflow UI.

• Crates Media commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't be ridiculous. Continuing to support SVN requires little work... the standard changes very slowly and the app is already full-featured. Adding Git support only makes this app better and opens up new opportunities for the company. I'd also support them adding Mercurial, CVS and BitBucket. You could easily switch between supported interfaces with a click, allowing the company to provide slightly different experiences based on the platform, and you could allow the user to choose which platforms they wish to support (and perhaps even charge slightly less for the main app, and maybe another $5 for each additional platform).

This is a good move for Cornerstone. Don't listen to the haters.

• at+m integrated marketing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the motion to leave Cornerstone to focus on the SVN workflow. Zennaware just need to create a whole new Git app (Cornergit? Gitstone?) which I would seriously consider buying, given the quality of Cornerstone.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be happy to buy Cornerstone GIT app, I presume you guys are looking at this. Many of the complex codebases I work with are talking about moving to GIT (from svn, Perforce etc), please have a great UI waiting...

• jpq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would downvote if I could. I would be happy to pay again for a git version, if necessary.

• gcombs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't I use my votes to subtract from those that have voted here? I understand people wanting to have Cornerstone be SVN only ... that's fine ... but make a Git version so that Git doesn't suck on a Mac.

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if Git has a different workflow than SVN it would be nice to have one client that does both (even if it presents either in different ways). Services like Beanstalk allow you to mix and match SVN and Git. having both is critical. But I guess I'll keep looking...

• jowie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@zenna - could this not be closed now if you plan on keeping it SVN-only?

• siewerts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, zenna, use your obviously great skills for making great software to create a git client!
        Cornerstone is so awesome, YOU CAN DO IT!

• k-fish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, if there was a client as elegant as Cornerstone for git, it would be worth a look. So, if you have the resources, give it a try. But don't let the SVN movement crumble...

• wtextor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does this "planned" status mean for voting for it? I removed my vote because I don't expect this item ever to be "completed".

• daveaiello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The company I work for currently operates two large Subversion repositories. One of the big reasons I use Subversion is for discovery of code and review of code versions that I didn't write/maintain. There is some possibility that we will switch at least one of them to Git from Subversion.

So if Cornerstone remains a Subversion-only application, does Zennaware anticipate creating a UI for Git as well (regardless of workflow issues)?

• philz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is a shame. I was hoping you would support git, even if it meant I had to buy a completely different application from you. I am ready happy with cornerstone but I want to switch over to git.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base